After celebrating with friends and rabbis by reading the last page of the Mishna Berurah, Ramser is starting over from the beginning. Ramser said he hopes to have the book memorized one day.
Very nice photos at the Cleveland Jewish News website.
A lot of good photos at Cleveland Jewish News: https://goo.gl/jm7SH9.
From Cleveland.com (https://goo.gl/RwzK6B):
One person is in custody and preliminary indications show that the shooter and the victim knew each other. Police say as far as they know there is one victim.
Whether mall hours for Sunday are affected is not known.
(This photo credit David Petkiewicz on Cleveland.com, url above).
Excerpted from the Cleveland Jewish News. Full article can be read at https://goo.gl/cmEbNi:
Malka Rosenberg said her husband, who died in 2016, had no plans to sell the store. And she said she hasn’t found anyone to take over the store, but she knows the kind of person she is looking for.
“Somebody who will do everything and anything,” she said. “Over here, you can’t just say I’m doing one thing, you can’t. If a customer walks in asking for something, you have to help. That’s the first thing, you have to take care of them at the register, you have to take care of their needs.”
For now, Malka Rosenberg plans to continue helping customers every way she can, whether it’s passing on savings or providing “the best selection” of kosher wine in the area.
CONGRATULATIONS WINNERS (list below)!
SPLIT THE POT – MR. AND MRS. HESHY PLATSCHEK
- SARI SHEITEL – RABBI AND MRS. YOSEF WAINBRAND
- MAJESTIC MEGILLAH – RABBI AND MRS. MICHOEL WIENSCHNIEDER
- DAZZLING DIAMONDS – MR. AND MRS. DOV ZILBER
- BUGABOO – RABBI AND MRS. MEIR HIRSCHMAN
- $1,000 ARTSCROLL – DR. AND MRS. BARUCH FERTEL
- VALUE CITY FURNITURE – MR. AND MRS. JOSH BOOKMAN
- YAELI SHEITEL – MR. AND MRS. DAVID KELLER
- NATUREPEDIC MATTRESSES – RABI AND MRS. YITZCHOK KROLL
- SHOPPING SPREE – MR. AND MRS. YURIY ZELIKOVICH
- MEN’S WARDROBE – RABBI AND MRS. SHLOMO MENACHEM ARON
- CURB APPEAL – RABBI AND MRS. SHMUEL COHEN
- CASH! – RABBI AND MRS. YAAKOV SANDERS
- APPLIANCES – RABBI AND MRS. YITZ FRANK
- DELL LAPTOP – RABBI AND MRS. ELAZAR SHOYKET
- SIMCHA IN ELEGANCE – RABBI AND MRS. SENDER STOLL
- KE’ARA – RABBI AND MRS. YITZCHOK ZABLUDOWSKI
- CLEAN SWEEP – MR. AND MRS. HARRY WEISS
- GUEST ROOM ENSEMBLE – RABBI AND MRS. AVROHOM MEYSTEL
- LEGACY VILLAGE – RABBI AND MRS. MEIR MARGULIES
- L’CHAIM! – RABBI AND MRS. YOEL FLEISHER
- MEN’S MOVADO – RABBI AND MRS. YITZ FRANK
- GO GOURMIA – RABBI AND MRS. TZVI WEISS
- WALL ART – DR. AND MRS. BRIAN GASTMAN
- UPTOWN GETAWAY – DR. AND MRS. YISSACHAR JERUSALEM
- DIAMOND HALO NECKLACE – DR. AND MRS. DANIEL FLEKSHER
- GROCERY BONANZA 1 – RABBI AND MRS. FAIVEL KATZ
- GROCERY BONANZA 2 – MR. AND MRS. MAX WINTERS
- TREAT YOURSELF – MR. AND MRS. DAVID KELLER
- EISHES CHAYIL – MR. AND MRS. MAX WINTERS
- DINE OUT – RABBI AND MRS. SENDER STOLL
- GO FISH – MR. AND MRS. JASON CLAUDE
- HOME DEFENSE – RABBI AND MRS. MENACHEM TENENBAUM
- FOR THE FAMILY – MR. AND MRS. ALAN SCHABES
- MAGNA TILES – RABBI AND MRS. AVROHOM MEYSTEL
- BEST DRESSED KID – RABBI AND MRS. MORDECHAI BORCHARDT
- GAMES – MR. AND MRS. BEN CHAFETZ
- JUST LIKE CHINA – DR. AND DR. ARI MOSENKIS
- MITZVAH KINDER MEET THE SHPIELMANS – RABBI AND MRS. MOSHE SUMMERS
- PHOTO SHOOT – MR. AND MRS. MATIS FRIEDMAN
- TOYS OF THE FUTURE – DR. AND MRS. MICHOEL ROM
From kashrut.com (http://www.kashrut.com/Alerts/?alert=A6257):
Snyder’s Lance announces voluntary recall of a limited amount of 6.5 oz Emerald® Glazed Walnuts due to potential presence of undeclared peanuts, almonds, cashews and pecans.
The Jewish Federation of Cleveland today announced that its president, Stephen H. Hoffman, intends to retire from this position on December 31, 2018. Hoffman (67) has served in this capacity since 1983. A search committee of the Board of Trustees, along with the assistance of executive search professionals, will oversee the process by which Hoffman’s successor is named.
“Steve’s impact on the Jewish community in Cleveland, Israel, and around the world cannot be overstated,” said Board Chair Gary L. Gross. “During his tenure, he elevated every single facet of our work to enable us to anticipate the ever-changing needs of our community here and abroad through his deep commitment and compassion.
“As impressive as these achievements are, I think Steve’s true legacy will be that he taught us all the true meaning of community and the endless power of tzedakah,” Gross continued. “Thanks to his superb leadership, we are blessed to move into this next chapter of our organization’s storied history with an impeccable reputation, a clear vision for the future, and the strong financial footing to support our integrated and inclusive growth plan.”
“It has been my distinct honor to have served the Jewish community in this role for close to 35 years,” said Hoffman. “My decision to retire at the end of the year comes after careful consideration. I’m proud to have played a part in strengthening the meaningful impact the Jewish Federation of Cleveland has had both here and abroad over the years. I have treasured the professional-volunteer relationship over these many decades, which I believe is the ‘secret sauce’ to Cleveland’s success as a Jewish community. I look forward to working closely with Gary and the team as we usher in this new era of leadership.”
Update: alarm likely caused by dust on a sensor.
CH City Hall at Severance circle being evacuated.
LJN received word from two parties that some residents who failed to schedule an appointment to have their meters upgraded to Clear Reads had their water turned off today. According to both parties this action was taken without warning or notice.
From a reader:
As you may be aware, Cleveland Water is upgrading water meters and customers need to schedule an appointment to have their meters upgraded.
I got a call from a tenant earlier this evening that her water was shut-off without warning since an appointment was not scheduled (she sent a picture of the notice and we pay the water bill so it was not due to non-payment). (They may have posted a door hanger on her door but no letter was sent.)
Many people (especially elderly) may have neglected to schedule this upgrade. You may want to let the community know to spare them the agmas nefesh of having their water shut-off. ( A Friday Shut-off means no water until Monday!)
Cleveland Heights Vice-Mayor Jason Stein forwarded the following link (http://www.clevelandwater.com/cleveland-heights-clear-reads-project) where you can learn more about the program. There is no specific way to schedule the appointment online, however, so unless you’re certain you’ve been upgraded or have an appointment to be upgraded, you’re best off calling Cleveland Water to make sure you didn’t miss any notices and aren’t scheduled for a shutoff. Their number is 216.664.3130. As per comments by Water Man and D Schwab, the best number to use is 844-379-9984.
Due to an E. coli outbreak that has now affected 13 states including Ohio, Consumer Report took the unusual step of suggesting temporarily avoiding romaine lettuce. While the CDC hasn’t yet declared romaine lettuce to be the culprit in the outbreak, Consumer Reports’ suggestion is based on romaine lettuce’s implication in a similar outbreak in Canada.
The state liquor stores are doing a major sale – major metzias – Google “ohio last call” and you’ll get articles – this one has the pricing and the sales price.
Time to stock up for yourself and your shuls.
From Rabbi Simcha Dessler:
Due to the frigid weather and wind factor predicted and expected for tomorrow there will be no school .
We wish everyone a safe day and a wonderful, relaxing Shabbos.