I have been given the zechus of writing a book about the life of our dear chaver, R’ Shmuel Tzvi Berkovicz, z”l. We hope to preserve his legacy for generations to come. There is so much to learn from him — from his noble character, from his warmth, from his chashivus haTorah, from his methods of chinuch, and, of course, from his deep-rooted ahavas Yisrael. A collection of personal memories will help capture the beauty, depth, and meaning of his rich and productive life.
This project will require the input of many individuals, especially members of the Cleveland community. Although I would love to interview all those who knew Rabbi Berkovicz, this is nearly impossible. However, every memory, no matter how small, will truly enhance the book. So please think about your connection to him and share interesting and inspiring stories by sending them to the email address below. Attached is a questionnaire to help you get started.
With great anticipation toward the production of a memorable work,
Questionnaire for Cleveland Community
(Please note: Not all questions need to be answered. This is just to help spark your memory.)
- As someone who saw Rav Berkovicz in action, what lessons did you learn from him in terms of limud haTorah, in terms of middos, or in terms of chinuch habanim?
- How did you see his inherent love and warmth come to the fore when dealing with the children in the school? Can you think of one incident that best captures this aspect of his personality?
- Do you have a special story or memory about him?
- Did you (or your son) ever receive a memorable letter or gift from him?
- Are there any lines or sayings that he was fond of repeating, and that perhaps you find yourself repeating?
- Did you ever receive a piece of life-changing advice from him?
(If you wish to share this anonymously, please indicate in your reply.)